Three days after the twin suicide bombings at Kampala Central Police Station (CPS) and Parliament Avenue, President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni directed the Uganda Police Force to release the list of wanted suspects linked to the rebel Allied Democratic Defense- ADF.
The suicide bombings that happened around 10 am on November 16, 2021, claimed the lives of four people. These include Police Constable Amos Kungu, Boda-boda rider, Ismael Basibe, Christopher Sande, and George Katana. More than 37 people escaped with injuries they sustained from fragments.
Earlier on, a bomb had gone off at Digida, a leisure center in Komamboga killing one female worker, Emily Nyinaneza. Another bomb exploded inside Swift Bus killing the suspected suicide bomber Isaac Matovu. Museveni said the dead suicide bombers were part of the bigger list compiled by police.
He wondered, why the police do not release the list to the public to help in identifying the terror suspects. Police Spokesperson, Fred Enanga told URN that the commanders of the joint anti-terrorism were processing the list.
The hunt for ADF terror suspects is being conducted by the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI), Joint Anti-Terrorism Taskforce (JATT), Internal Security Organisation (ISO), Crime Intelligence (CI), and Criminal Investigations Directorate (CID).
Enanga explains that commanders indicated that they would release the list only when they realise it will not jeopardize their investigations and operations. Security insists that they want to ensure the operations are discriminate in nature so that innocent people are not targeted.
“We are trying as much as possible to be discriminate in our operation so that people who are not involved are not targeted. The list is not yet availed but commanders are aware and we are still waiting for it,”Enanga said.
Even before Museveni revealed that police and sister security agencies had a list of wanted terror suspects, Uganda Radio Network (URN) had been informed that security had compiled a list comprising over 120 people allegedly funding, recruiting, participating in bomb explosions and gun violence.
Since the shooting of Gen. Edward Katumba Wamala’s vehicle on June 1st and the bomb explosions, security agencies have arrested 118 suspects but only a handful have since appeared in the courts of law.
Some of the suspects who are detained without trial include Abdulaham Waibi, Sanyu Nakitende, Aisha Katushabe, Kiyemba Isma, Segujja, Muwonge Yusuf, a wanted terror suspect and concealment of a dangerous weapon, Kahindo Edith, Munubi Shakira, Musa Abdallah Ayebare, Ainembabazi Mariam, Tahad Seluwu and Fahad Seluwu.
Enanga says that security is not dealing with ordinary suspects, a reason why investigations are taking long.
“The joint investigations teams work with the Director of Public Prosecutions on- DPP and International crimes division. We are being guided by the office of the DPP. These are exceptional circumstances because we are not dealing with ordinary suspects,”Enanga said.
Leave a Reply