President Yoweri Museveni has accused the media of spreading fear about the outbreak of Ebola in Mubende district.
Speaking on Wednesday night from State House Nakasero, Museveni who admitted the outbreak said the virus has only been confirmed in 24 people of whom five have already lost their lives, contrary to what has been reported in the media where almost two dozen people have been reported to have succumbed to the hemorrhagic fever.
Museveni said unlike the previous Ebola outbreaks, the Sudan strain that has been reported in Mubende is not very dangerous and therefore can be managed. Museveni said if indeed the situation had been as bad as reported, he would be the first to institute tough measures like those he instituted during the early stages of Covid-19. He called upon the tourists not to cancel their visits to Uganda because of the fear of Ebola.
Museveni applauded health workers for the job well done so far and pledged that his government was to provide the necessary Personal Protective Equipment-PPE especially masks and gloves.
Health workers in Mubende hospital this week put down their tools demanding that government provides them with the necessary PPE and risk allowance.
In his address, Museveni admitted that at least six health workers have been infected with the deadly virus and are currently undergoing treatment at Fort Portal and Mubende hospitals. Of the six, four are doctors, one anaesthetist, and one medical student.
The Ministry of Health last week confirmed the outbreak of Ebola in Uganda with the epicenter being Mubende district, particularly Madudu sub-county. Subsequently, Ebola alerts have been heard in districts as far afield as Kampala and Wakiso districts.
FOR MORE CLICK HERE